Course: MGR - Transitioning to a Manager Position
Learn to think as a successful manager
Are you a newly appointed manager or wish to become a manager in the future?
This course helps you slip into your new role as a leader:
This course is run in partnership with Consepsys
Provided by Kerr Noll
Who is it for?
To attend this course, delegates must have the desire for more responsibility,
the ability to think conceptually and be open to being challenged beyond one’s comfort zone.
Learn to slip into your new role as a Leader, with a better understanding of team leading, business administration, commercial and strategic concepts.
Through a combination of theoretical sessions and hands-on workshops, the mindset of participants is transformed to embrace the shift of focus from detail to overview, which they must go through to be successful Managers.
Moving up to a Manager position requires a profound change of mindset and perspective. New managers must re-invent their professional outlook and must face a new suite of complex challenges.
This course introduces new and future managers to the new frame of mind that they must adopt and to the strategic approach that their new role requires.
Participants are guided to learn to slip into their new role as a Leader, with a better understanding of what their organisation expects from its team leaders and managers.
Through a set of challenging workshops, the mindset of participants is transformed to embrace the shift of focus from detail to overview, which they must go through to meet the objectives of their organisation and to be effective, credible and successful Managers.
1. What does the new role change?
- What changes in this new type of role
- What new perspective to acquire
2. Getting started
- Aligning strategy with company objectives
- Creating a vision and a culture
- Mobilising a team
- (Re-)defining roles and responsibilities
- Developing plans to achieve objectives
3. Attitude and perspective shift
- Accepting accountability for entire team
- Thinking and communicating at a higher level
- Projecting confidence
- Making difficult decisions
- From expecting to effecting
4. The bigger picture
- Nesting the bigger picture
- Strategic thinking
- Mapping processes
5. New tricks to learn
- From doing to managing
- Delegating & empowering people
- Following up and closing out
- Chairing meetings
- Supporting and motivating the team
- Anticipating, detecting and addressing issues
- Managing priorities
- Managing and monitoring performance
- Managing office politics
- Managing risks
6. New activities to undertake
- Managing commercial and economic aspects
- Strategic planning
- Managing resource utilisation
- Processing information, forecasting, reporting
- Downward, upward and sideways management
7. All eyes on the manager
- Change in rapport with others
- Leading by example
- Representing the organisation
- Communication style
- Managing confidential information
8. New problems to face
- Dealing with difficult situations
- Dealing with difficult people
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
Kerr Noll also provide in-house / in-company training courses (face-to-face and live online formats).
Contact us to
receive a proposal.